A Creative Dream

A Creative Dream

A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

04 December 2016

Sweet little snowflake...

This was originally published in 2013.  It's one of my favorites, so I'm sharing again.

All of the instructions I'm sharing will be indexed on the page titled "Just for you...all the projects".

Let it snow... Yeah, I know, I'm early, but heck, it's almost September, and time just goes so fast these days...

One of my favorite ornaments on my Christmas tree is a little snowflake ornament, and last Friday when I dropped into my local craft store I happened to come across some snowflake shaped wooden cut outs right there in the middle of the store.

Obviously it's a sign.

So... a dozen of the snowflakes came home with me, along with a pack of round wooden balls.  Both of them happened to be on sale too.

The little balls get glued onto the middle (more or less) of the wooden snowflake...

And then they look like this.  Notice the snowflake shapes and balls are in a styrofoam plate.  I got tired of chasing those little balls all over the floor every time they fell off of the table.

After I glued the little ball on I let it sit on the table while I washed the dishes, vacuumed the floor, dusted a bit... and by the time I finally got back to it the glue had dried nicely, so I painted it white.  Three coats.  And the darned "Hobby Lobby" that is stamped on the back, along with their product number, still isn't covered terribly well... I can't have everything I guess.

When the white was all nice and dry I mixed a wee bit of blue into some white to make a very pale blue (you could just use a pale blue, if you have it, but you know my color pallet has so few pale colors in it), and, watering that down pretty thin, I outlined the edges of the snowflake.

And then I mixed up a pale pink and did the same sort of thing making two arches near the ball... notice a face taking shape there?  When that was pretty dry I added a bit darker pink at the top of the cheeks to make them stand out a bit more.

Using my ever present extra fine Sharpie marker in black, I drew "stitches" around the outer edge...

A couple of dots become eyes, and then a squiggly little line and a mouth appears.  Cute huh?  Oh, but wait...

Now is the time to seal it if you want to with an acrylic sort of finish, spray or brush on, either works.  This was sprayed with a matte finish that is actually very matte.  And, you know that's just wrong, because snowflakes sparkle...

Mixing some white glue half and half with water I brush it around the edges (doing a section at a time) and sprinkle on glitter... oh my goodness, yes... glitter.  It only took me until about April to get rid of all of the glitter everywhere around here after all of the glitter houses last year.

A little ribbon hanger and there you go.. an adorable little snowflake to hang on the tree, or window, or desk... put on a package... oh, the possibilities!

3 comments:

Barbara Sartain said...

Adorable and a perfect project for the kiddies!!!

Emily said...

Always looking for something for the children to make and these are the cutest thing I have seen this year!!! Thank you for re-sharing (I am a new follower).

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

Not to mention perhaps for elderly Barb... they might be able to do some variation as well.

Thanks for joining me Emily, nice to have you here!