A Creative Dream

A Creative Dream

A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

02 December 2016

My little paper problem...and the making of a star

I'm going through and cleaning things out here, you know, getting rid of the old to make room for the new sort of thing.  Some of the instructions and tutorials that are really popular (according to how many views they've received) will be staying.  What I am going to do though, is make sure that the entire project is on one post, rather than them being spread out over the course of a few posts, and make sure that any links are still active if there are any involved.  So, to that end, I will be posting some goodies from the past over the next few days.  

The first... this. Loved it the first time I shared it, love it just as much today.  So... let's talk about my paper "problem", and make a star.

Shall we?  Y'all know about this issue I have with paper... especially old paper... especially old book pages sort of paper.  I adore it beyond words... the textures, the aging on the pages... the type on those pages... I just have this "thing" for it.  So much so that you see it in much of the work I do.

They say the first step to getting over an addiction is to admit you have one.  Hi, my name is June, and I am addicted to old paper.  Yup.  I love the stuff, and I have no desire to get past this particular "addiction".

I wanted to share with you the latest thing I've done with it... stars.  (Right now I have a "thing" for stars too.)

Now, we know I can be somewhat artsy, and somewhat creative... but what I cannot be is math oriented.  Whilst visiting the nursing home last Saturday, one of the regular visitors asked me if I were doing origami (I was working on it while visiting my father at lunch). My reply was, "No, I'm doing geometry."  While everyone else seems to get the concepts, for me... I see geometry as a kid standing with their arms up in the air going, "Gee, I'm a tree!"

Yeah, I suck at it.

The good news is, there are others who don't.  Somewhere along the line this pattern was developed, and I just got lucky enough to find it when I was out there trolling other blogs.  And, you can find it too... check it out here.  Woo hoo, huh!?!?! 

First step was to print a copy of the pattern.  Once it was printed, I copied it (using my light box) onto a heavier card stock.  My theory was that it would be easier to trace around.  My theory held true, it was easy.  Of course, it would have been even easier had I just copied it to the card stock in the first place.


I also copied the base pattern onto card stock to provide a somewhat sturdier structure to glue the points on later, but for now I put it off to the side to work on making all those points.



I really wanted to make them from the more aged pages (it's a copy of "The Grapes of Wrath") and I did make one star from it, but here's what I learned... The older paperback book pages are not necessarily the most sturdy, and when you fold them, they sort of stretch.  Most of the time I tell you... don't worry if it (whatever "it" is) isn't perfectly even, it's going to be just fine... but in this case, since it's gee-I'm-a-tree, it's best to keep then as straight as possible.  I went with the newer pages.


First you trace around the template you created, and cut out 20 points.  I stacked about three pages at a time, drew several shapes on the pages (as many as I could stuff in there) and then cut them out.  And, while I know I am darned good... I cut a few extra out, just in case I made a mistake or two, or twelve.

To fold as neatly as possible, which is important here, I cut a strip of my card stock with a straight edge to use as a tool to help me make nice straight folds.  You fold across the top (base of the triangle), and down the body of the shape as well... 


This shows my steps, and where I did the folds.  You may find it easier to fold the longer lines first... you do what works best for you.  Add glue on that little tab you make on the long edge (I have it labeled as the step 3 fold) and glue it to the other long edge to make a triangle shape.  Hold it for just a second to make sure it has adhered.  Make 20 of them... or maybe 22 or 23, just in case.  I mean, you might get so frustrated trying to glue one or two on that you may in a fit of frustration accidentally crumple the pain in the ass piece of paper point and need an extra one... or two.  Probably no more than three...tops.

When you get all of those done, it's time to work on your base. 

The tips are all folded and glued, and ready to be attached to the base. So now, we have to put that base together.  


Trace the outline onto card stock (or, if you are really smart, like I noted above, print it on card stock in the first place).  


Before you cut out the shape, you need to score all of the lines so that they can be folded very easily.  Normally I'd use an embossing tool, sadly, mine (that I'd had in my hand just two minutes before) had disappeared somewhere.  Necessity being the mother of invention... I grabbed my seam ripper and used the tip to score all of the lines.  After you score them, fold them.  Trust me on that, it's far easier to do it now than it is after you cut out the piece. Totally ignore the numbers I've written on this one, they mean nothing, I was just counting the total number of tips I needed to make.


Once you've folded everything, cut out your shape.  Apply a small amount of glue to a tab, and glue it where it seems to fold.  There is no "tab a" or "slot b" on this, but if you fold the shape the tabs automatically end up being where they are supposed to be.  


One of the triangles has no tab on it.  That is the last portion I fold and glue. If you're going to hang this, that is the best place to add the hanger.  I've made this out of perle cotton, with a great big, seriously large, knot on the end... and a little glue... then I tucked it onto the slot between those two tabs and glued the final triangle closed.


This is what you have once that's all accomplished.


Then, it's time to start gluing your book page triangles to the shape.  Don't use an excessive amount of glue or it will take FOREVER to dry (that leads to lots of slipping triangles). Glue, allow to dry a bit, then glue on the next one.



Most of the time you can glue one or two of the flaps directly to your cardstock form, but sometimes you have to glue a point to one that has already been glued.  When that happens I tuck one of the flaps on the point I am gluing down under, to provide a "finished" edge


When you do that, hold the point a few extra seconds to make sure it has adhered.  Then it should look something like this.  Just keep gluing points on all of the spaces, and once they are all filled in, let the star dry well before hanging (otherwise, sometimes you get points that fall off... don't ask me how I know this, just trust me).


And... there you go... a gorgeous 20 point star.

4 comments:

Wally the Swamp Rat said...

The stars are really pretty but as far as me doing that.......I would be better off spreading Elmer's all over my table and myself, crumbling up a bunch of paper and swearing for about an hour at the top of my voice. That is what I would end up with anyway. Glue in not my friend.

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

LOL... ok, I am rolling over here, thank goodness there's no glue and glitter! Glue does have a way of getting out of hand!

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

I'm pretty good at math, even geometry, but I could NOT figure this out!

You're a rock star, June! You just don't know it ;-)

The stars are lovely and quite impressive, especialy when one understands how tricky they were for you to make.

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

Math is definitely not my specialty, Eileen. I am better at it than I usually admit, but it makes my brain work in an entirely different way, and that's taxing. But I absolutely love these stars. There is a garland of them hanging above a doorway in my studio, and every time I look at them I smile.