A Creative Dream

A Creative Dream

A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

08 December 2016

A Formica chip ornament...

This was first published back in 2010, but, since I've had a couple of emails requesting it again, here it is...

 


Off I go to my local home improvement store and their counter top samples. You know the ones I am talking about? The are in the kitchen area...they are small tiles of laminate with a hole punched in them so they can hang. Great for using to make small, very simple, ornaments.






 

First step was to remove any stickers that were on them. When that was finished, I lightly sanded both sides to make sure the finish wasn't going to be an issue. I used a coat of Gesso, and then used two coats of white acrylic paint to create the surface I'd paint on.





 

Then a light blue wash to make the sky area, after that has dried, the trees and the snowman bodies were added. Just about then I realized I would have to do something with the back. Really, I should think these things out before I begin. Of course, if I did that it would take all the challenge from it, and what fun is that?
 

 


I printed the sheet music for "Jingle Bells" and then tore it into random sized pieces. Those pieces were then randomly glued to the back. Once it was dry, the same blue wash went over it. Unfortunately, I forgot to include photos of the back while I was taking them.
Details were added to the snowmen, and I dated each of them in the lower right corner.



 


 

 
When the paint was dried, everything was coated with Mod Podge and allowed to dry. (Author's Note:  I would suggest using a good, brush on polyacrylic finish, like this one, rather than Mod Podge to prevent any stickiness later.) A second coat was applied and glitter sprinkled on while wet. Once all were dry, I tied them with red ribbons...and, taaaa-da.....Little snowman ornaments to begin spreading the Random Acts of Holiday Cheer....


4 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Thanks for posting this tut again. Such an easy project. I'm passing it on to my grandson who is a youth minister for his church. I think the kids would love making these.
Merry Christmas

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

I'm most happy to Carol!

jinxxxygirl said...

I have some of those chips June!! What a great idea. OOoooo these could be left in random places for people to find too...just hang it on a bush or tree...Hugs! deb

ACreativeDream June Crawford said...

I like the way you're thinking there Deb!