A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

04 February 2013

Let's revisit...

Remember her...
My first go at the folk art style that I love so much... remember how, in spite of the fact she's perfectly lovely, I really wasn't happy with her?

I'm not real good at letting go of some things, and this is one of them.  It fascinates me that I'm not entirely pleased with her, so I thought I'd give it another go.

Only this time I thought I'd try to incorporate more of the old book pages that I enjoy so much.  First, I was only going to use the pages on the tree and maybe her dress, but as I started gluing over the first layer of paper and paint, her face and neck really just "needed" to be book pages.

Once those had been glued down and a few layers of paint applied, her hair just "needed" to be paper too.  I found it was a bit tougher than I had expected because I'd already sketched her onto the background and was very happy with the shape I had drawn.  Trying to get the paper to fit the drawing was a tad bit of a challenge.... but, I persevered.  We've already established that I am a wee bit stubborn.

But you know, I think it paid off... I'm liking this.

And then, with a few more layers of paint...


I am liking her very much.  Notice, I'd first thought her dress would be where I used the book pages... nary a page there.  There are layers and layers and layers of paint there before I'm finished though.  Light orange, light hot pink, darker orange, magenta, red... then more of the light orange until her finished dress is somewhere between orange and deep salmon.  Sooooo interesting to see how the color changes with each layer of paint.  This trial and error playing can be so much fun!

The start of her eyes... a few leaves on the tree...

Shading, lines... a bird in the hand, first cut from book pages then painted... her eyes finished out a bit more... 

Interest added to the edges... would be such a wasted space if there isn't something interesting there...

And I just can't help but add at least a bit of doodling... on the back.  Creates a great space to sign the work don't you think?

And then, suddenly (or, about 25 hours of work after beginning)...

There she is.  And I'm very pleased with her. 

I don't know if it is the layering, all of those textures, the book pages, or maybe the colors... but this feels more "me".  I like her very much... what do you guys think?

6 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I think she definitely has the J factor.

I think your first girl just did not go with the quirky background, so she looked flat.

You KNOW that I love how you create using layers of paint and that faint print showing through.

I would be honored to own this piece. She speaks to my love of bluebirds. Keeping my fingers crossed that I am the first to speak for it.

She's lovely.
xx, Carol

Snap said...

She is wonderful!

Belladonna said...

What a pretty one!

Eileen Bergen said...

Absolutely more "you", June. However they're both lovely.

What is the substrate? It looks like a block of some sort. And you've painted all 8 surfaces.

This one belongs on your wall to look down on you and remind you how special your art is.

ACreativeDreamer said...

Oh, Eileen... I'm so glad you asked. They're flooring samples picked up when I was looking at floor covering options. They're about 4" x 6" and about a quarter of an inch thick. I didn't want them to go to waste... they seemed such a prefect size, so this is how I put them to use.

Sandra Martin said...

Awww....you painted this just for me? (wink) I enjoyed learning all the loving details that went into her creation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails