14 October 2012
Hi, my name is June...
And I have a glitter addiction. Yup, I'm afraid it's true. A year ago my glitter usage was minimal... but now, after finding these houses... well... all I can say is thank goodness for 40% off coupons! Fine, ultra fine, multi-colored, tinsel style... you name it, and I have it. And, it is everywhere. It doesn't matter that I ONLY use it in the craft room... it is EVERYWHERE!!!
Ok, now that I have admitted my problem, let's get back to building that house...so, we have the house cut out, book pages applied, book pages white washed, form all glued up, the base has been cut out and is covered with old book pages, and the cute little trim has been made from scrapbook paper... and now we're ready to put it together. If you didn't take my suggestion to add those tabs to the pattern when you were cutting it out, here is where you will wish you did.
The pattern for the Little Charmer that I'm doing here has an insert that you should cut out of corrugated cardboard, it's a good thing to have for this, it helps "shore up" the shape a bit, so cut that out, and let's use it to position where you will put the house on the base you've already made.
Now... first do as I learned, not as I did... See those cute little windows all cut out in the house? Notice that they are open, no covering on them at all? That was a goof. I use velum paper to back each of the windows I cut out, when they are lit up, it makes such a lovely glow, and you don't see the inside of the house, which in this case would be the red of the Coke carton. It's a whole lot easier to glue that velum in when the house is flat, not when it's shaped and ready to glue to the base. Yup... lesson learned.
I tied the porch to the house so the glue could dry a bit... use rubber bands, it will be easier. See... three things so far that I learned!
When I went to put the roof on the house, I found that the cut out for the porch didn't exactly fit. Fourth hint... do not use any glue for the roof until you are sure of the fit... Once it was trimmed a bit, I reapplied the glue to the tabs and the roof, and stuck it down one more time.
Now, I know I have said this about a billion times before, and I know I SHOULD always let things dry before moving to the next step... but we all know me well enough by now to know that I didn't. This time I paid for it. I thought it was glued pretty well, and that once I got the glitter on it, I'd leave it to dry and it would dry just fine. I was wrong.
When you get that roof on there, add the cute little chimney. I added the scrapbook paper right under the cap of the chimney to continue the look.
I'm working on more... and of course, I can only use patterns I find for so long before I want to make my own. My neighborhood is full of fun architecture that will be perfect to inspire these sweet little houses... I just hope my neighbors aren't too concerned when I am out taking photos on my early morning walks...
Coming up this week... a Halloween project... can't wait to get that started and to share it with you!
Posted by ACreativeDreamer