A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

02 December 2011

Number 11...

The other afternoon I was driving home after work as usual. This time of the year I am always in awe of the quality of the late afternoon sun. Have you noticed how golden it is? How absolutely beautiful it is when it bathes all of your world in a glow that seems warm and cozy.

I'm also generally in awe of how grateful that particular quality makes my heart feel. I'm not sure why... that glow means the cold brightness of winter is getting close... but for me, those couple of weeks of golden sun makes me pay even more attention to how beautiful my world is, and how much I have to be grateful for.

It made me think, I needed to do an ornament that symbolized that grateful heart. This is what I came up with.

What I used... felt, cotton fabric, perle cotton, a button, brass wire and a small bit of polyfil.




How I did it... Y'all know I am not a huge fan of really symmetrical, and hearts are no exception to that for me. I like a bit of "catiwampus" in them, so I created a heart pattern that is just that. I cut a front and a back using the larger heart pattern. The front is hot pink (I know it looks more red but it isn't) and the back a very bright teal. The smaller heart is a funky cotton fabric that has a variety of colors to it, and the smallest heart is the same teal as the back.

First thing to be done is attach the smaller heart to the larger one. I used a yellow DMC perle and did the blanket stitch all the way around.










When that was finished I added the smallest heart using the same yellow cotton to make french knots all around it.














Finally, the front and back are attached. The back (teal) is cut ever so slightly larger so that you can see just a smidge of it over the hot pink, and a lime green floss (6 strands) was used to stitch them together (stuffing it with polyfil before closing).













It still needed a focal point, so I attached a lime green button.

Now, this I like. It's bright, colorful and all of that golden yellow reminds me of that sunlight I love so much. But, it still needs to hang.








I cut a length of brass wire about 9 inches long (should I do this again, I might give it a couple more inches), and pushed it from the back through the front. Using jewelry pliers I twisted the end into a few loops, and the part extending from the back I twisted around a pencil... then stuck that end through from the back to the front, and created the small loops with the pliers again.










And there it is... my grateful heart ornament. I really like this one... I think it could end up hanging somewhere in my home after the tree comes down.










Patterns, images and instructions copyright 2011, june crawford. You may not copy, sell or distribute the patterns as your own. These patterns are for your personal use ONLY, not for making profit. If you choose to make an ornament for charity, please notify me. ALL of the money from the sale of that ornament must be donated to that charity.

7 comments:

gill said...

I really like this one too!!

jinxxxygirl said...

Love this one June! OMGosh the colors! My daughter works at a VA hosp as the receptionist and we've been mulling over making hearts and putting them in a bowl on her desk to hand out to the heart patients as a reminder to take take of their hearts..............this gives me ideas!

VivJM said...

I really like this one too! Loving jinxxxygirl's idea for heart patients, that would be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I had a miracle heart transplant last Dec.!!! I love your colorful, happy heart. It will be fun to make a few for my new transplant friends. I really enjoy your blog...check it most every day. Thanks, Holly

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your site today and fell in love with your work and your logo -- A creative dreamer." Thank you for sharing your projects with us. Mary

Maria said...

Fabulous ornament! Love the colors and the shape of course... :)

Barbara said...

Wow I love it too! I think it could definitely stay out all year.

Hugs XX
Barbara

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails