23 November 2011
Number 6... and even a bonus...
It's no secret that I love the moon, I'm fascinated with it. I've mentioned it often here on the blog. It's just so darned magical somehow. So you know I'm going to have to do one... maybe even two.
To make this one I found this wonderful, soft yellow, pale plaid-ish cotton fabric. The photos don't do it justice... but trust me, it's lovely. I also used a couple of scraps of hot pink cottons, and some hot pink felt... ribbon, and yellow and black floss.
But, while drawing the pattern, I had another idea too... a moon in his sleeping hat...
For this one I used the same yellow, and pinks... with a pretty blue swirly pattern too. And a tinsel-ish sort of trim too.
Again, the pattern I will be posting on Sunday does NOT have a seam allowance added to it. The line on the pattern is your stitching line. Be sure to add about 1/4th inch of fabric outside of the line (that you will later trim to about 1/8th of an inch) for your seam allowance. Trace the pieces onto the fabric you plan to use, stitch on the lines, cut the excess fabric, clip CAREFULLY, turn and stuff.
I stitched the faces on at this point because, frankly, I don't trust myself to stitch them on the flat pieces, then sew the ornament up so that they are relatively even... this just seemed easier.
Next... for the cheeks I wanted to use a hot pink. The original thought was to applique a circle of the fabric on, but after a bit more contemplation, I decided to make a yo-yo for the cheeks. I cut the circle out about a half inch larger all the way around than the pattern indicated. To make the yo-yo I folded the raw edge of the fabric in just a bit to make a folded edge, then took a running stitch all the way round the circle.
Once I'd gone all the way around, I simply pulled the thread to gather it... and, ta-da-da-daaaaaa.... a yo-yo. then I stitched that to the cheek area on the ornament. Notice, on this ornament I stitched a nose into it... on the other one I did not.
Now, because I never know exactly how an ornament is going to hang on a tree, I did this to both sides rather than leave one plain.
It's pretty plain at this point, so I decided to add a heart. The original intent was to have it hanging from the tip of the moon. I didn't really measure so much as just cut and stitch... cotton fabric onto felt, and it turned out a shade too big. Not wanting to start over, I decided maybe I could place it somewhere else. I sort of like how that works.
For the one in his sleeping cap, I stitched the hat to the moon on both pieces, then turned them right sides facing and stitched the moon together. When he was clipped, turned and stuffed, he was created the same way the first moon was... only this time I got the size of the moon right to make it dangle. And I wanted something sparkly on him, so this piece of trim was perfect. I actually glued it around the hat using tacky glue.
Both of the sweeties will be hanging from a hot pink bow...
And there you go... number 6, and a bonus.
Thank you everyone for your kind words about the magazine article... I admit, I am still smiling about it.
Patterns, images and instructions copyright 2011, june crawford. You may not copy, sell or distribute the patterns as your own. These patterns are for your personal use ONLY, not for making profit. If you choose to make an ornament for charity, please notify me. ALL of the money from the sale of that ornament must be donated to that charity.
Posted by ACreativeDream June Crawford