A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

30 November 2011

Number 10...


It's another Santa! This time wearing a tall hat... in teal. And red.... I got one traditional color in there.

What I used... felt. Good quality felt for the pieces that create Santa, a few beads, coordinating and contrasting floss, a smidge of batting and a little polyfil to stuff him. That's it...

How I did it...

First I cut all of the pieces out... face parts from a peachy flesh, white beard, moustache and hat brim. The hat is from a very bright teal, and the stripes are red. They are not on the pattern, but are just strips about a quarter of an inch wide (I stitched them down and then trimmed the sides). The foundation for it all I cut from white (the back red).





Gauging the placement of the face, I stitched a couple of basting stitches in just to hold it in place. Using the good old button hole stitch I stitched on the cheeks first. Then the nose is placed and stitched.














Next... the placement of the beard. It's stitched just along the top with a running stitch to hold it in place. To gussey it up a bit I decided to add some swirls to his beard by couching some thread in twirls onto it.














When this is all in place I want to be sure to get the rest set in correctly so I pin them into place.


Pinned, then the moustache is stitched in place.

















The red stripes are stitched onto the hat. I used lime green floss (nothing like a lot of color, right?)

















Now all the little touches that finish it up... some white beads on the hat brim, and three lime green buttons on the hat. A little red bow for a hanger... and, of course, a couple of black beads for the eyes...

















And there you have it... the finished Santa in a tall hat...













Patterns, images and instructions copyright 2011, june crawford. You may not copy, sell or distribute the patterns as your own. These patterns are for your personal use ONLY, not for making profit. If you choose to make an ornament for charity, please notify me. ALL of the money from the sale of that ornament must be donated to that charity.

4 comments:

Carol said...

You definitely have a knack for the whimsical!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Where do you get your felt? I love that blue.
Susan

ACreativeDreamer said...

I hope I do Carol... I do love whimsy!

Susan, I got my felt, and most of the fabric I've been using for all of the ornaments, at Jo-Ann Fabrics. That blue is absolutely gorgeous too... the pictures don't do it justice.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

Lovely dear old Jolly St. Nick! Thank you ! Mary Helen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails