A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

05 September 2011

Let's finish the match box ornament...

A few final touches and the ornament will be finished and ready to hang on a Christmas tree later this winter...

A bit if polyfill to add some fluff to the "snow" inside the box. The finished snowman is positioned (gotta account for that nose and the opening of the box). Once that is accomplished the snowman is glued down using another drop of the superglue gel. I glued the bottom and added a tiny drop behind his head where it rested in the match box to make sure it didn't move later.

Then it was time to decide how to handle the top. Something needed to be added to allow the match box be opened to see what's inside. I've used a bead before, but this time I went to a box of straight pins I had created a few years ago to use when I finished ornaments. Lots and lots of straight pins... that stick my fingers when I look through them... all of these little guy have been created by using colored polymer clay to make whatever is on top, then baked and varnished.

A couple of options were chosen, and the Little One decided a snowman was the way to go... so a snowman it was. I used a non-decorated straight pin to poke a hole in the top, and then cut off a substantial bit of the pin under the snowman to be able to curl it after the pin was seated. On the top I added a drop of the super glue gel and positioned the snowman. Once it had a few minutes to dry I curled the portion of the pin that was sticking inside the box into a loop to discourage it from pulling through. Tested it a few times and it works just right... always a good thing!

Of course, if it is an ornament it needs a little bit more glitz... so I used the remaining snowflake charm and some seed and bugle beads to create a tassel (used sewing thread to string them). Using a straight pin to make a hole in the bottom part of the box, I then threaded a jewelry pin head through the hole, cut off the extra length I didn't need with wire cutters, and then used jewelry pliers to bend the length left into a loop. I used the length of wire I had cut off to thread through the top bead and make a loop to connect it to the box with.









Insert the inside box into the outer cover and... ta-da.... the finished ornament/winter shrine/cutsie thing is all done!
















Here's what it looks like closed...
















And here's what it looks like open...

What do ya think?












I thought I'd add the links to the other posts in the tutorial so they are all conveniently located...

The links to all of the sections of the tutorial:

Let's get started...

Painting the outside...

Painting the inside and the tree...

Making the snowman...

And the final steps...

12 comments:

Gaby Bee said...

This is just smashing! Love it!

Have a great week!
Hugs,
Gaby

gill said...

So pretty - I love it!

Tina said...

Meraviglioso! WOW! I love it!

Rainbow Painter said...

Awesome inspiration! Now I know what to do for an ornament gift for my grandchildren. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Labor Day.

Joanna said...

So sweet! I love the little drawer pull, great choice.

Kim said...

I think it is the most adorable idea ever and I think I need to try some myself- fantastic project and tutorial June!

Char said...

Too cute! Went out and bought match boxes. This would be an excellent craft for my boys when the time comes. Thanks so much for sharing!

Carol said...

Its just too dang cute!!

Cyndi L said...

What a great ornament! And those poly clay stick pins are just the greatest...you'll probably never need to make more as long as you live :-)

Eileen Bergen said...

Wow, that's adorable, June! Boy, you never do things in a small way - even though the project may be small.

I love all the details, especially those cute decorated pins you just happen to have made a while back. Perfect.

Cherie said...

I agree with Eileen - I love the details of this. You did a wonderful job and thanks for breaking it down for us. I sent this to my cousin for an idea for our annual homemade ornament exchange.

Kay Williamson said...

So cute, thanks so much for the inspiration, I hope mind turns out as cute as yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails