A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

15 August 2011

Wanna make your own birdie...

Even if you don't end up making a mummified book page version of it like I did... I thought you might like to make your own version of my little bird.

You should be able to click on the image below for a larger pattern. The entire thing should print out on a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper. (For those of you who live where that isn't a standard sheet of paper you may have to print it on larger paper to get the entire pattern.)

The instructions are pretty simple, because I expect that all of you will do different versions of your own little birdie.

Birdie number 1 is the one I have used to create the bird from my journal page. Birdie number 2 is the original bird that I drew. Number 2 has two different gussets. The first, shorter gusset, makes for a fatter breasted birdie, the longer gusset makes for an overall chubbier birdie. These are darned fast to sew up on a machine, but really take very little time to sew up by hand too.
Now, a couple of tips... these will all be a bit different depending on the sort of fabric you choose to use, and how you stuff them. If you use a fabric that tends to fray, I suggest that, once you cut it out, you add just a bit of white glue to the edges to prevent that fraying, ESPECIALLY if you are going to sew it by hand (experience speaking here people... trust me on this one!). Just let it dry before you start your sewing.

For me, I find it much easier to sew the back portion of the bird first then add the gusset... you do what works best for you, but if you use lots of straight pins it will be lots and lots easier regardless of when you add the gusset.

And, of course, if you have any questions all you have to do is leave a comment or email me (my email is over there in the left sidebar).

If you use the pattern to make a birdie, and you post that on your own blog, please send me a link so I can share it with my readers too! (And, of course, I'd always appreciate a link to my post for your readers.)

There are a couple of conditions... I am sharing the pattern for three versions of the little birdie, but I retain all rights for each of them. You are welcome to use any of the three for your PERSONAL use. That means you are not allowed to copy the pattern and represent it as your own, nor may you use the pattern to make a profit. If you want to share it with friends, please refer them to my blog to print the pattern. 


In case you missed the other posts that led here... visit these:

Part 1  The journal Page
Part 2  The pattern
Part 3  The disappointment and change of direction
Part 4  The finished project
Bonus  Another color scheme 

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Your birdie looks just divine June! I love birds and I don't care what color they are as long as they look like a bird! You are just so creative.

Hugs XX
Barbara

Marydon said...

This is just darling. Visiting via Julia.

Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY thru the 18th, for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Help me spread the word.

Have a beautiful week.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon

Magpie Sue said...

Ooo, fun! I may have to make my own version! Thanks for sharing your pattern. :- )

katiejane said...

Well, isn't he a cutie? Thanks for the directions.

SpinningDownUnder said...

These little birds are lovely! About 20 years ago I made some very similar ones, a few in red and green felt to make tree ornaments, and then others in silk scraps, with inserted and quilted tail feathers - there are infinite variations of this style of sewn bird and I suspect its an old European folk tradition. The basic pattern itself is available in many older craft books. I've also seen them coated in paper mache like yours, and then painted, but I have to say yours are by far the prettiest! Its a fun project to experiment with.

ACreativeDreamer said...

Aren't you all just way too sweet (but don't stop saying nice things... heaven knows I love it!). I was thinking about adding some tail feathers, or doing something with the wings... maybe both. I'm just pleased that the three dimensional bird turned out very similar to the two dimensional one I created on the journal page... so very often I get a wild hair to try something like this and one never seems to turn out anything like the other. I am working on a few versions that I'll share in a few days... let's hope they all turn out like I see them in my mind!

Nancy said...

Very cute! And thanks for sharing the pattern and instructions. Will give this a try, and send you a link if I'm successful.

Cherie said...

Adorable! I love this little birdie, and the nest is so cute too.

Eileen Bergen said...

Tweet sweet! I love them all ... and the nest - adorable. Thank you for the pattern, June.

Now that you're back online, when am I ever going to get any sleep?!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails