A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

26 August 2011

Stopping to smell the flowers...

Just outside my back door in a teal colored pot are growing some small zinnias. I'd forgotten how lovely a flower they are. I thought I'd create a flower that wouldn't grow old and wither... out of old book pages, of course. I started by tearing a few pages out, and gluing two pages together and allowing them to dry.

After they dried well, I painted them, using my usual hot pink and bright orange.

Allowing that to dry, I cut out petal shapes in four graduated lengths, one barely longer than another.


When I had as many as I thought I might need (which just means a small pile of each size) I decided that the best way for me to attach these petals would be to first glue them to very thin strips of paper. Which, of course, meant more drying time... this was turning into another lesson in patience. (Sigh...)

Finally, it was ready to assemble. A length of floral wire, a bit of floral tape... one end of the wire was bent into a flat oval "loop" so that the petals wouldn't slip off of the wire.

Using a bit of glue, I attached the shortest strip of petals to the wire, and then simply rolled it and rolled it and rolled it until that strip was finished.





When the strip was attached, I wrapped it with the florist tape, stretching it over itself very well so that it would stick.









All of the strips of paper were added in the same manner, and a hefty final wrap of the florist tape was added to hold them all in place... and again, they were allowed to dry.








Finally, I rolled the petals over a pencil to curl them so that they would "open" like a flower...











And the final flower... I really do like how the print of the page shows through the paint, it fascinates me every time I see it.

What do you think of it?

10 comments:

Carol said...

I don't play with paper, but every time YOU do I am amazed. I love the print through paint technique too.

Snap said...

I love your paper zinnia! I love zinnias ... remind me of my grandmother.

gill said...

I love these! but have I got enough patience???
I love the way the print shows through!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Love your paper zinnias--sooo cool! I'm planting zinnias in my garden next spring, I already bought the seeds. They're such a sturdy flower and so beautiful.
best, nadia

Eileen Bergen said...

Oh my - that is just wonderful! You are sooo CREATIVE.

Duh, I guess that's why your blog is called ...

Barbara said...

I'll second that one Eileen! June you are just da bomb!! I love the look of your Zinnia!

Hugs XX
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi June! It's been a long time since I visited you! Your flower is very pretty, I like it very much :) Have a nice weekend! /Limar

Kim said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and I'm thinking I really need to try to make some in dollhouse size now! Awesome June!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your cute little zinnias! I just had to cut all of my "real" ones down, after Hurricane Irene knocked them all over! :( So, perhaps I need to find that patience, and make some like yours! They are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love the zinnia...BTW...I think you ought to change your blog caption from "wanna be artist" to "artist"!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails