A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

14 August 2011

Here birdie, birdie, birdie...


I have so much to do this weekend... and yet, here I am playing with my little bird. Of course, the cleaning elves won't be in, so it isn't as though it won't be there for me to do later, right?

This is how we last left the little guy... sort of "mummified" in book pages, drying so that I could paint him.





And this is what he looks like with a base
coat of paint on him.











And here it is starting to get the details painted on.


So far, I think I'm liking this...










And with the majority of the details done. All that is left are the lines I am going to add with the permanent marker.




The wings are glued on, and I have a ribbon holding it together until they've dried. Originally I'd planned to use straight pins to do this, but they definitely stick some big holes in the paper, so they were out.



And, after what seems like hours and hours and hours... here is the cutie finished. I'm really pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Of course, every little birdie needs a nest of her own...




Here's the finished bird, complete with its nest, nestled among the branches and leaves (sneaky how I got those in there huh?)







How do you think it compares to the original page that inspired it?

8 comments:

Cerise said...

Oh my goodness! I love it! The nest just makes it even more beautiful!

deb said...

June you have the knack for making everything seem so simple. Though i know its not. I know alot of trial and error went in to it. But just like the doodling you make me think 'i can do that' and whether i actually can or not is debatable but its wonderful that you make me think i can.

I mean that started as just a simple design in felt sewn together not with a machine whick i have no idea how to use instead its just sewn by hand. And i never would have thought to glue strips of paper on top of the felt..... I just love how your little birdy turned out. Beautiful job! Hugs! deb

Carol said...

I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you submit your work to any mags.

I thought, what the heck is she gonna do with that bird now. I gotta tell you I am totally smitten with him. I love the paint and I especially love him in his nest.

You should submit him.

Eileen Bergen said...

That nest of paper strips is just the cutest thing!

Of course, I love little birdie. I agree with Carol: that ought to be in CPS or somewhere equally prestigious.

P.S. One of my craft goals for this year is to make a papier mache Christmas angel. So far I have a styrofoam cone for the body and a ball for the head. I can't seem to take the next
step.

I love how you just barrel through. Can I call you when I run into trouble????

Kim said...

He is adorable!!!! I love the branches with the leaves too- so cute June!

Cherie said...

This is so cute! You always do such a great job. I love the paper nest, and the birdie is so darn adorable.

LivesArt said...

Wonderful!

mijbil said...

So adorable :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails