A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

31 May 2011

Realism chucked...

And on with the mermaids!  I do have a "thing" about them... been drawing them for years, mine always are ample and have orange hair... I guess I give them the characteristics I know well...  so let's see how well the gouache paint works creating a mermaid.

I ran across this drawing I had done a couple of years ago... she was originally destined to be turned into a three dimensional needlepoint, and may still eventually be some day, but until then, she seems the perfect candidate to paint.   You should be warned, all of my mermaids are painted naked (the mermaids... not me) so you are likely to see boobs (the mermaid's... not mine)...



I very lightly transferred the original drawing to the 140 lb cold press watercolor paper (11" x 15").  And then I just dove into the painting...her first, then the background.  The gouache colors are very pretty and bright, but I also needed some colors that I didn't have in the gouache palette, so I pulled out the watercolors too.  They worked very well together. 



Lots of layers of color, some applied to wet paper, some more dry... oranges over yellows, reds over oranges, right now everything is an experiment.  I like the layering process (seems to be a recurring theme with me, doesn't it?).  It's all an experiment at this point, and that's probably what makes it so much fun for me.
 
Once I was happy with the colors I let it dry it very, very well (aren't you proud of me?), and then I added some finishing touches...


My trusty very fine tip Sharpie marker to add outlines... and since mermaids are sparkly and magical creatures it seemed a wee little metallic gold was in order.  I don't want her to be too outrageous after all... so I just added pattern to her tail.  


Maybe not high art, and certainly not realistic, then again, I haven't seen too many mermaids lately... but I like how she turned out.  Now on to the next experiment! 







7 comments:

Char said...

Love this mermaid! Don' t care if she is realistic. She is a bright and pretty fantasy :D

Char said...

I meant not realistic....oy! I should read before I hit the post button. Either way she is fantastic!

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

You can never have too many bodacious mermaids.....simply lovely womanly forms and i know what she is! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Judy said...

Here is to the self-taught artist sisterhood!

Love your stuff :D

La Paix!

Judy

Kim said...

I think one of the reasons I am drawn to your art is the color- she is just fabulous!

Eileen Bergen said...

You are too funny, June! I can't get the image of you painting in the nude out of my head.

She is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing so many tips. I've been trying to get back into watercolor painting. It's hard to know where to begin.

Cherie said...

I'm with Kim, the colors really get me, too. Love the tips, also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails