A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

19 April 2011

So, after remembering how...

To weave the gum wrappers again, I needed a project to use them up. This is what I came up with. Quite pleased with myself. I mean.. cool idea huh? Who else would come up with a frame? Then my daughter came home. It seems she's seen these everywhere. Talk about an immediate deflate... anyway, I'm going to share with you the process of creating this frame regardless. Along with the things I won't be doing for the next ones.

The first thing I did was to decide what size photo I was going to make the frame for. A 4" x 6" snapshot seems a good choice since we all use those pretty consistently. So, to do that, I am going to need an overall (outer dimension) size of about 5" x 7". At this point, the smart thing for me to do would be to run over to Michaels and get one (or a dozen, cause you know once I start I can't stop) of the unfinished wooden frames they have for about a buck... but NOOOOOOooooo... Instead, I used the heavy cardboard back of one of the watercolor paper tablets I had cut up for the recent journals (silly idea number 1). I cut one back (with no opening), one front (with an opening) and one stand. Enlarge the photo to the right and you can see the pieces.

I also cut three strips that are about a quarter of an inch that I will be using as spacers later. Now, I have a mat cutter, so that made doing this very simple. If you want to use a heavy cardboard to make your frame and you don't have a mat cutter, be very careful. I've cut a finger or two in my time when using an X-acto Knife or box cutter... I'm just sayin'.


When you have your pieces cut out the next step is to cover them with printed pages. You could lay them over the piece of the frame and carefully glue them down, but where's the fun in that? I decided that, since I had all of these strips of paper left over where I had cut the "gum wrapper" shapes that I'd weave a back. (That was "silly idea" number two.) Finding the center back of the frame, I glued strips all across.

Then, I folded those strips over and began weaving. Yup, just like making a pie crust top... (what was I thinking???). If you do this, you have to glue all along the way so that when you attach the stand later it is going to be stable. The finished piece would have been a tad more impressive had I used a t-square to carefully draw parallel lines for the strips to carefully follow. But, I didn't, and the end product is a tad caddywompus... but you'll see that later.


Once all of that was woven and carefully glued down I sat it aside to dry and started on the front. When the frame is finished you will want a wee bit of space that you can slide the photo into, so the first thing to do is glue the three "spacer" strips into place. Glue them across one long side and both short sides.




Cover (what will be) the front with strips of pages and set it aside to dry as well.

In the next post I'll be sharing more about finishing up the frame.



13 comments:

Kim said...

Genius! I've never seen frames like this before- how did that ever pop into your mind June?? I also don't know if I would have been brave enough to make my own frame- I would probably have taken the easy way out and bought one at the dollar store-lol! they are beautiful- I can't wait to see more of the tutorial. Wouldn't they look great with a wash of walnut ink over them to age them up some too?

A Creative Dream... said...

Well I am glad SOMEONE appreciates the genius in it!!! LOL

I learned to make frames a long time ago when I was putting them together in needlepoint, so it really doesn't phase me much these days... but they can be a tad daunting the first few times. I do like how these have turned out though, and am going on to a few more variations... maybe we'll all have to see how they work out (IF they do!)!

Carol said...

Well, I have never seen the weaving done for picture frames but I sure think they are cute!!

Me and Bis said...

OMGosh! I was just trying to weave those little wrappers at Christmas for an ornament I wanted to do, and for the life of me, I couldn't remember how...thank you so much! I just may have to start my ornaments early this year. I love your creativity of using a frame!

Eileen Bergen said...

Great minds - that's the explanation for your inspiration. Your frames are wonderful.

May I plant another little seed. I've seen paper tole frames here in Mexico. Paper tole is very popular in Europe.

Maybe you can be on the leading edge for the US ;-)

Barbara said...

June you really do have amazing talent and creativity! Love this progress of yours and the frames are to die for! Maybe you really are on the cutting edge of creativity in the states.

Hugs XX
Barbara

CREATIVE MIND said...

This is totally awesome..you are so talented,keep it up honey :)

Laura Thykeson said...

Great idea! Love the woven look, and they could be painted to match any decor as well!

Cherie said...

Wow, it turned out great. I cannot believe how cute this is! What a nice way to reuse books and also give someone a unique gift. I'm with Kim, I don't know that I would have been brave enough to make the frame either!

Sandy Ang said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love playing with paper and will have to try this sometime.

Cyndi L said...

OH that is just BRILLIANT!!!

Linette said...

I love it! Those frames are soooo cool! What a great way to reuse books.

Threads of Inspiration said...

These are really great frames! I love that you used book pages, gives them an elegant look...better than gum wrappers!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails