A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

04 April 2011

It's been storming...

Our weather has been pretty dark and stormy all day. This was the view right outside my office today just after lunch... very dark, very stormy. What photos can't share is the cool spring breeze, the sound of the rain falling all around, and the crashing thunder that popped up from time to time.

I like storms. As long as no serious damage is done.

I've been working on a couple of projects, but haven't anything really ready to show yet, so I thought I'd share dinner with you all instead. Or, at least a recipe... sort of a recipe... y'all have been around long enough to know my recipes are more of a suggestion as to how to make something.

At some point this afternoon I decided I really wanted some noodles in peanut sauce. Not sure where that particular desire came from... I haven't fixed them in a long while, but they are very, very yummy...

So, here's what you need if you want to make them too.

This makes about two servings, more or less. Feel free to double or triple.

Some Asian noodles. I used udon noodles. How many of them? If you make the OK sign by putting your first finger and thumb together... about that many. If you cannot find udon noodles you can use spaghetti.

Bring some water to a boil (base how much on how many noodles you are cooking), drop the noodles in, boil for about a minute and then turn off. Leave the noodles in the hot water to finish cooking.

In the mean time gather a carrot, some red bell pepper, three green onions, about two cloves of garlic (or to taste), and some iceberg lettuce. Slice everything into thin slices... think match sticks. Now, again, these are suggestions. Personally I love red peppers, so I might slice up many more of them, if you prefer green peppers or yellow peppers use them. Like carrots? Use more. Hate them? Use none.


Usually I crush the garlic to use, but I have a new secret weapon. When we were in Milwaukee I got some of the new Penzy's minced garlic. I tossed about 1/2 teaspoon of it in a teaspoon of warm water and allowed it to set a few minutes. It was perfect. Very yummy, and so much less garlic scent on my fingers! You can find their site online if you cannot find them where you are.

Once everything is cut up drain your noodles leaving just a smidge of the water in them. (I think they mix best if a bit damp.)

Now, to make the sauce... I start with about 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter. To that I add about 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 3 Tablespoons of fish sauce (found in Asian markets, of you can't find it... don't worry about it, you can add water), 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (depends on how much heat you want) of Thai chili paste, 1/3 teaspoon of Thai ginger (Penzy's again), and about half a teaspoon of sesame oil. Toss in the garlic and mix well. (I've found that warming the mixture for about 30 seconds in the microwave makes it soooooo much easier to mix.) When it's smooth, pour it over the noodles and toss to coat.


To assemble... put the thinly sliced iceberg on a plate. Add the peanut sauce covered noodles, and then toss on the thinly sliced veggies. Top with some crushed peanuts if you like... and drizzle some fresh lime juice over all of it just before serving.

Yummy!

Now I'm off to relax, have a glass of wine and enjoy my dinner... if you try it, let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Kim said...

oh my goodness--yum!!!!!! It even looks beautiful too June!

Eileen Bergen said...

Looks like a lovely spring storm and a lovely quiet dinner. Hope you enjoyed your little respite, June ;-)

Linette said...

I've been hungry for Thai peanut noodles, must be that darned weather! Yours sound and look yummy! I might have to have some this weekend.

Cyndi L said...

We just had spicy Thai noodles this past week too, and our "recipe" looks pretty similar to yours! Love it :-)

Cherie said...

Mmmm! Looks like a good recipe, I'll have to remember this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails