A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

16 August 2010

Soooo.....




I gutted a book this weekend. Two of them actually... well, a book and a notebook. Yep, ripped the pages and workings right out.








And then I covered the book in two coats of Gesso... and decided that wasn't enough, so added one thinned coat...










And then I painted... and painted... and I drew and then painted some more...








And this is what I ended up with...











And here is where the guts of the notebook ended up... after an awful lot of wrangling on my part...









The front and back are painted, the design drawn on, then painted, and finished off with many coats of Mod Podge...












The inside was painted, and then images added, some layered on as in a collage, and a couple transferred using the packing tape and Mod Podge method I shared yesterday...








I'm really pleased with how it turned out. The pages will be 6" x 9" overall, but, because there is a binder working inside it, I'll be able to create many different sorts of pages to add to it.


I definitely see more of these in my future...



And....

If this isn't enough, this morning as I am scrolling through several blogs, I see all kinds of wonderful stuff about creating visual/art journals and altered books... check them out!




Blazerdesigns... click on the link to go there.













Mixed Media Artist.... my blogging friend Cyndi... click on the image to go to her series...



If you know of others going on out there, or if you have posts of your own that go along with this theme... add them in the comment section!

(One caveat... the link you add MUST be about altering a book or creating an art journal or journaling, etc... they may NOT be geared to sell things, and I reserve the right to remove them if they are.)

8 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

What a great notebook redo. You are fearless and have a wonderful sense of color.

I am going to have to try this,

xoxo

Gaby Bee said...

Your notebook is absolutely stunning. Love such colorful pieces!!!
Have a wonderful week!
Gaby xo

Kim said...

I'm so behind on blogs right now- oh my goodness this is beautiful! I've been neglecting my art journal, but whenever I see the projects you are working on it just makes me want to play- I love your use of color here! I can't wait to see what you fill it with :)

Diana said...

That's gorgeous. How did you attach the binder working to the inside? I've never seen those sold separately - did you remove it from an old binder?

A Creative Dream... said...

Thanks everyone, I am glad you like it and really appreciate the very kind comments!

To answer your question Diana, I did remove the mechanism from an old binder. It wasn't terribly difficult, but putting it into this book had a few interesting moments. From what I can tell, you actually can buy the binder mechanism, but so far I have only been able to find them in bulk. I'm experimenting with a few different options in the next several books I have planned, and if they work, you'll see them on the blog... maybe even if they don't work... sometimes the projects that don't work out exactly the way we want are the ones that end up working best overall.

I really like the idea that I can have a journal where I can move the pages and add lots of other things, so I hope they do work.

Eileen Bergen said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!

And what a clever way to alter a book. I too like the idea of being able to move pages in and out on a whim.

Just gorgeous ... I'm runner out of superlatives on this blog. lol.

liniecat said...

I love the way you have transformed the cover of this and thanks so much for the explanation about the tape transfer.
Ive never mastered it nearly as well as you have, but I sometimes wonder if our UK wide tape isnt a less craft friendly product!
Otherwise its my cack handedness lol yup, way more likely!
Im going to have another go!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, turning a book into a binder! Aren't you the industrious one! Love what you did with the cover, inside and out. :- )

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails