But the weekend wasn't a total bust. Last Friday I woke at my usual 4:42 am (I wish I knew why that is "normal" for me...), took the dog out for a walk, did a few dishes, made the coffee and took my leisurely time getting to work. When I got there, I wondered why in the world Carol was walking across the parking lot, she always gets there about 7:30, and she's never late...then I looked at the clock in the car...
Carol wasn't late.
Since I'd arrived early, I left a bit early, and, while day dreaming on my way home, I suddenly found that I had a few ideas roaming around in my head. I've been thinking about creating a larger sort of an art doll for some time now, and there were ideas tumbling over ideas for her, so it seemed maybe time to give it a go. Once home, I got out what I thought I would need, and began...and was immediately drawn to doing something completely different. A long time ago I gave up sitting down with specific plans of what I want to do, my hands do not always listen to what my brain is saying. Go figure huh? So off in the other direction I went.
Instead of the big art doll I was planning, I got out a few old wine corks and the Sculpey, an old book and some fabric and papers, some glue and wire...and set about it.
This is what was created first...rather than Dorothy's ruby shoes, she has very sparkly teal ones...have I mentioned that I discovered the joys of glitter during the last Christmas holiday?
Then came this one...as colorful as the first one was, this, and the one that follows, has so very little...The wine corks in each are covered with torn scraps of the pages of the book. There is a bit of sparkle though, the accents are in gold, and she has a brass halo.
And this one is very similar to the second one...the legs are not jointed at the knee, and she sits on a round ball rather than a square one...I'm not sure I like her as much as I do the first...but I always have to give things a day and look at them with fresh eyes.
And finally, really as an after thought, I happened to look over and see the "left overs". Often I don't use everything I had intended to when I am creating, and the items that I don't use get put into a "left over" box...you never know what can come from that box...
Now...I'm off to try the "peeled paint" method again, I shall NOT let it win...I'll report back on that soon.