21 May 2010
Peeled paint...part two of part deaux...
So, to finish up the peeled paper...here's where we left off...it has been more successful than the first horrible attempt, but still not really what I wanted, so I thought I'd have a bit more fun with this.
I dug out another old book, this one has rather thin pages since I wanted to have some depth, but I wanted it to be able to be wrinkled up. Tearing out some pages, I crumpled them and glued them to the painted paper leaving some of the background open.
When the glue was dry, I created the same layering with the paint and petroleum jelly, only this time the paint was very much thinned, and I just hit a few highlights with the petroleum jelly.
I mingled the layers of color a bit more though, not thoroughly covering the sheet with any one color. And, again, when dry, I wiped over the entire piece so that the paint released from where the petroleum jelly had been.
The happily unexpected "aging" I found was how lovely the old, thin, paper looked where it has absorbed the oil from the petroleum jelly. Once it was all finished, I pulled the tape from the sides, that's always the moment I feel like is the "great reveal", and this is what I found.
And I am pleased.
Now let's hope it speaks to me about what it would like to be the background for.
Posted by ACreativeDreamer