A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

25 January 2010

Let's have a little fun...

You all have read my rants about my dislike (hate is a word I try not to use) of Valentine's Day...so I won't go into that again. But, if I am going to have to suffer through another one, I am at least going to share fun stuff with all of you, and live vicariously through you, for this holiday. Way back, in the distant recesses of my memory, I recall that one of the more important aspects of a relationship is keeping a sense of playfulness.

In that other life of mine...the one where I designed needlework, I had a great bed pillow in the design line. One side reads "Tonight", and the other "Not Tonight". The model was made of red fabric with black marabou trim on one side, the other a boring plaid flannel. I've always thought it was a lot of fun, and decided that maybe something smaller would be fun too, especially when I ran across this challenge using Jennifer Casa's tutorial over at Sew, Mama, Sew!...
why not condense that pillow to Valentine form?

The first step was to reinvent the wheel...as I so often do regardless of how hard I try not to. I wanted my envelope to be a bit different, so of course, rather than get out an envelope out that is the shape I like and trace around it, or use the perfectly good pattern provided by Jennifer...I sat about creating my own version.

Why, oh why, do I do this to myself (not to mention the trees destroyed to make the paper)???

My suggestion is you do one of the easier methods...experience speaking there.

Anyway, when I was satisfied with the new wheel/envelope, I decided to tackle the stitching. It obviously was going to have to be made smaller since the entire project is smaller. I decided to create a chart that was mostly back stitch (keep it simple and fast to make), and could be done on any even weave fabric. You can click on the graphic and it should take you to a larger view of the graph where you can print it to use. Remember, this is for personal use only, you may not use it for resale.


Stitching it took less than an hour. Really. Sewing it all up a bit longer, but it's still a pretty fast project.

I followed the basic instructions in the tutorial to create the envelop, and then made the insert just using some basic sewing. I didn't care for the insert flat, so I tucked a bit of polyfill into it to add just a touch of thickness. The envelope is made of classic pillow ticking and a grey chamois cloth. I did some extra decorative stitching in the hot pink just to set it off, and added an applique on the front for the address and a heart for the stamp. (Take note the lack of a name...), added a shank style button on the back and a length of perle cotton to use for the closure.




Doesn't it look cute sitting among the pillows?









And...when you peek inside..













Next time, taking the same thing and making it into a door sign.

And, if you'd like to see the rest of the Valentine's posted in the challenge at Sew, Mama, Sew!...click here.

2 comments:

Maria said...

That is just adorable!!! :) I like its "littleness" among its big buddies. Fun! Great pictures.

A Creative Dream... said...

LOL..thanks Maria, I think it is pretty adorable myself. I took it in to work today to show the girls and they agree...now, to find a good home for the ones I've made!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails