A little blog about the life of a somewhat lost dreamer....looking for my grace in this crazy world.

21 December 2009

Oh Christmas tree...oh, Christmas tree.....

How in the heck did Christmas get here so darned fast? I know it wasn't long ago I was writing about the scent of the magnolias and fireflies...But, alas, it is here, and all the stress that goes with it. I've got one last offering of an ornament pattern for you before it hits! I whipped three of these things up last night in about two hours, in spite of the help that the dog gave me. He's cute, but he sure isn't much help in the thumbs department...


So, here's what I've got...a Christmas tree inspired by the ones I made for the cake the other day...and a little because I watched the Rudolph special the other evening. This really is a quick and done sort of thing, it's simple, but I think they turn out darling. These are just the tip of the iceberg, you can decorate them with any and everything, just let your imagination run wild.

And, here's what you need for each tree, you need one 8"x8" piece of interfacing or of light weight cotton fabric (think muslin), three scraps of fabric to accommodate the pattern pieces, and one for the base piece, a 3"x3" light weight piece of cardboard, polyfil to stuff with, and buttons, beads, trims, and whatever else you can think of to decorate them with. If you want to make them for ornaments, you need a small piece of ribbon to make the hanger with (that piece of ribbon makes the turning of these things amazingly easier!!). Oh, and you need the pattern...which, luckily, you can find right here...

To enlarge the pattern, open your word processing program. Create a blank page, and set your margins to .5". Click on the pattern to the left which will open it up in a new window. Right click on it, go to your word processing program, and copy there. S-t-r-e-t-c-h it to fit the whole page, and voila, you have a full size pattern. Of course, you can make it larger, or smaller to adjust to suit you. If that seems like far too much work, just email me for the pdf file... acreativedreamer@gmail.com.

A note here about this pattern and all other "free" items I offer. They are my gifts to you for your personal use ONLY... please do NOT make them for sale (that infringes on my copyright unless I give you permission), and please do not post them on your blog without linking to mine if you want to share the pattern with others.

I drew the finished pattern on card stock to make it more durable, then cut it out to make my pattern pieces. On the fabric you've chosen, around each piece and cut out. Make sure to add a seam allowance around the outer edges...I cut the bottom edge of each piece on the line since it was meant to make it decorative. (I so love being able to crop photos...you have no idea how much mess you are not seeing!!!)



Starting with the lower layer, stitch into place on the interfacing or base fabric. Continue with the middle layer, and the top layer. Remember to overlap the layers so that you have none of the base fabric exposed!












It should look something like this...(did I mention how fast these things are to make?????)





If you are making them ornaments, fold a piece of ribbon and insert it (loop side toward the bottom of the tree), fold the cone in the middle and sew the seam up the back. Turn the tree (really, the ribbon hanger helps sooooo much in this step it isn't funny!). On the base, use a running stitch to go all the way around the edge, insert the round of cardboard (you may have to adjust it a bit depending on your seam size), and gather the running stitch so that your fabric fits tightly around the cardboard circle.





Stuff your tree with polyfill and attach the base circle using small stitches. Be sure it is stuffed pretty firmly before closing off the base, you want it to stand straight.
After that it's just a matter of using what you have on hand, and your imagination, to gussy it up to your likin'...










I kept mine simple (I like simple...it often translates to not only cute, but fast to make)...and tied on only buttons...this time. If you make a couple, be sure and send me photos of them, and I'll share with everyone (include your blog address if you have one so I can link to that as well!)


13 comments:

RekindleMe said...

LOVE IT!! I am going to try this myself! Thank you so much for the pattern! xxoo Sharon PS That dog's face is adorable! :) I'm sure he was a huge help!!

A Creative Dream... said...

That dog is such a menace...it's a darned good thing we love him! Send me pics if you do the trees, I'd love to post them!

Maria said...

Those trees are darling!!! And the expression on the dog's face is priceless. He's saying: "Mommy, when will there be any time for my pat on the head?" :)

A Creative Dream... said...

Luckily for the dog, his Girl has been home for the last few days, she's very, very, very good at giving him lots of love and attention!

Noreen Crone-Findlay said...

So cute! and if you turn them upside down, they are Victorian Cornucopias!

kendalee said...

Lovely! I think sadly perhaps still beyond my sewing skills (yes, really!) but they made me want to give it a go 'cause they're so sweet.

Just swung by to wish you lots of seasonal fun and much happiness over the Christmas holidays... and may 2010 be your very best yet! K xx

Christi said...

These are so wonderful. I'm sorry I found them after Christmas, will have to put this in my file for next year projects. Very cute!

Eileen Bergen said...

These are darling! So unusual and colorful. What a great way to use up some fabric scraps.

Thank you for the pattern.

I've saved it to a Christmas Craft folder on my desktop along with the link to come back for the directions when I get around to making a few.

Cyndi L said...

These are fan-freaking-tastic! I was going to make fabric hearts...AGAIN...for some gifts, and now I'm changing my mind. Trees, it is!

Eileen Bergen said...

Wherever did you accumulate all the colorful buttons? I have a button collection but most of mine are pretty dull in color.

I need some bright cheery ones like yours for my stash. I can see how they would come in handy for a gazillion projects - from greeting cards to ... well ... little Christmas trees.

Cherie said...

So cute! I'm with you, can't believe Christmas is already here. Time goes so fast. I love the versatility of these. I've been saving some buttons from my grandmother and this would make a good project to use them on.

A Creative Dream... said...

You can always make the trees and put hearts on them Cyndi... just so no one goes through withdrawl from the hearts...lol

Eileen, I get the really colorful buttons at Michael's. They have them in all sorts of shapes and colors, including the bright ones.

Cherie... you and me both... Christmas always comes far too fast, it sneaks up on ya. I'm actually going to dig through my stash of the table scarves that my great grandmother passed to my grandmother, who passed them to me to find some to use this year. My Big One and my Bonus One are both the sentimental type, and I thought it might be great to make them some of the trees (maybe even a heart), and use grandma's buttons to decorate them. Can't think of anything that would be more special!

Allie Whelan said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!! It's a wet spring day in Endland and I am trying hard to work, but distracted by searching for easy to make christmas crafts to inspire a youth group I run.... and it led me to you!!! - your stylish, creative and colourful blog has brought a sparkle to my dull grey day! Thank you. Will recreate your Christmas trees and encourage the gang to do same for our festive sale. will report back! Thank you x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails